Chicken cooked in Sorrel leaves(Gongura) is an all time Andhra Favorite Delicacy.
Preparation : 1 hour
Serves : 6-8 persons
10 chicken leg pieces(you can also use chicken pieces 2kg(4 pounds)
4 medium sized onions, Ground to paste
1 stem curry leaves
2 tablespoons oil
1 tsp garam masala powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
3 cups fresh sorrel leaves (gongura)
10-15 green chillies as per spice level needed
2 cups fresh coriander leaves
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1-2 teaspoon garam masala powder(as per taste)
1. Marinate the chicken pieces in turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and ginger garlic paste and keep aside for an hour.It Can also be left in the refrigerator overnight.
2. In a pan add sorrel leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies and mint leaves. Cover with lid and cook until soft.
3. Grind the leaves into a fine paste and keep aside.
4.Grind the onions and curry leaves into a fine paste and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add onion curry leaves paste and saute continuously on medium for 20 minutes until it reaches golden color. If you are a beginner, use chopped onions. Onion paste needs patience to cook properly or it will spoil your entire dish.
5. Add marinade chicken, saute for 4-5 minutes and cover with lid on medium flame and cook for 15-20 minutes.
6. Add sorrel leaves paste and mix. Add the garam masala powder and salt mix and cover the pan and cook until the chicken is cooked all the way.
Ground onion paste takes a lot of time to cook and you have to keep stirring it continuously to prevent it from burning.I highly recommend using chopped onions instead of paste if you are a beginner cook.
This dish goes well with rice or roti
If you desire a spicier dish you can always add more red chili powder or green chilis while making gongura paste.
Leave a Reply