Christmas cakes are usually made of some dry fruits and candied peel and nuts.Rum or scotch whisky is also added occasionally to the recipe for extra flavor.This is usually served on Christmas eve.This recipes is a variant with lemon to give a light tangy flavor.
Preparation time:1 hour
2 1/2 cups baking flour(all purpose)
1 teaspoon rum
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 large eggs room temperature
1/2 cup fruit cake pieces(dry fruits a.k.a tutti frutti)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 can maraschino cherries(drained completely optional)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup raisins
1. PreHeat oven to 325ºF. Coat a 10-in. bundt pan with oil/butter and flour.
2. Take the lemon zest, juice, rum, vanilla,the dry fruits,raisins,half the cherries,slivered almonds and sour cream in a bowl and mix.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and keep aside.
4. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
5. Add the eggs and whisk until foamy.
6. Add in the yogurt mixture until combined. Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix until combined.
7. Transfer the mixture to the bundt pan and bake for 1 hour-1 hour 20 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and invert it onto a rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with cherries.
This recipe yields a cake with lesser fruits, if you want a denser cake with a lot of fruit add more fruit upto 1 cup.
Skip the rum if feeding to kids or pregnant ladies or you don’t like it.