This curry was my all time favorite while growing up.Its very simple to prepare and can be had with Rice or Roti when you don’t have any vegetables to cook at home.This can be used as a base for other curries using cauliflower, cabbage, egg, drumsticks, paneer etc.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
1 bunch Spring Onions
5 medium Tomatoes chopped
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 stem curry leaves
1/3 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons Oil
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
3 green chili minced
1 teaspoon chana dal
1 teaspoon urad dal
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dhaniya powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala(or less)
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1. Heat Oil in a pan. Add Chana dal and urad dal and let brown slightly.
2. Add Mustard seeds and cumin seeds and turmeric. Once the seeds crackle, add Curry leaves.
3. Add chopped onions and green chili and saute for 4-5 minutes.
4.Add the ginger garlic paste and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomato and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the Spring Onions stir for a minute.
7. Add water dhaniya powder and garam masala, red chili powder and salt and let simmer for 10 minutes until spring onions are cooked.
This goes well with rice or roti or idli.
You can also pop 2 eggs in the curry towards the end and stir until it cooks.
You can also add frozen peas along with the spring onions for added taste.